Professor Gordon Okumu Wayumba holds a Bachelors Degree in Land Surveying and Photogrammetry from the University of Nairobi (1976), a Masters Degree in Remote Sensing and Aerial Photographic studies from Cornell University (1983) and a Doctorate Degree in Geospatial Engineering from the University of Nairobi (2013). Prof Wayumba is also a practicing Licensed Surveyor in Kenya (Lic Survey, Kenya) and the East Africa region. He is a member of the Institution of Surveyors of Kenya (MISK), a Certified Land Surveyor for East Africa Region (CLS, EA). Prof Wayumba is currently the Vice President of CASLE for the East Africa Region.
Prof Wayumba has over thirty years of field work in Land Surveying having worked as a Land Surveyor in the Ministry of Lands (1976-1991) when he moved to join the department of Surveying and Photogrammetry as a Lecturer (1991-20100). While at the University of Nairobi, Prof Wayumba taught courses in remote sensing, cadastral surveying and topographical mapping. He also acted as chairman of the department from 2001-2007.
Currently, Prof Wayumba is an Associate Professor in Cadastral Surveying and Land Administration at the Technical University of Kenya and the Director of School of Surveying and Geospatial Sciences. He is also the chief coordinator of a European Union sponsored project on the security of land tenure in East Africa Region, the its4Land project. Prof Wayumba research interests are in the areas of cadastral surveying, and informal settlements, Land Administration and cadastral modelling. He is currently supervising five PhD students, 2 in climate change area, 1 in Land Registration, and two in the area of Land Tenure. Prof Wayumba has published widely in the area of cadastral surveying and some. Some of the major projects carried out and publications are shown below.
Activities in Education
MSC THESIS SUPERVISION
- Johannes Orodi, Odhiambo, 2007: Prediction and Mapping Sugarcane Biomass Using Remote Sensing and GIS Technologies; MSC Thesis, No, 2007, University of Nairobi.
- George Ted Osewe, 2008: Development of a Prototype Land Information Management System. Msc. (GIS) Project, Department of Geospatial and Space Technology, University of Nairobi.
- Sandra Kosgey, 2008: A Study of the Impact of HIV/AIDS on Women and Land Tenure in Kisumu District, Kenya. Msc in Land Management, KTH, Stockholm, Sweden.
- Gitau, Jacinta Muthoni, 2008: The Effects of Current Land Administration Procedures on Urban Housing: Case Study of the City of Nairobi. Msc in Land Management at the KTH, Stockholm, Sweden.
- Beatrice Chika, 2009: Development of GIS Database for Ruma Women Group, Rarieda Asembo. Msc. GIS Project at the Department of Geospatial and Space Technology, University of Nairobi
- Mwenda, J.N., 2009: Critical Evaluation of the Checking of RTA Surveys in Kenya. Msc Land Management at KTH Stockholm, Sweden.
- Joe Ondulo., 2010: Accuracy Assessment of PID from ortho Rectified Satellite Imagery, MSC Thesis at the University of Nairobi.
- Phoebe Ochoo., 2010: Evaluation of the status of Land Information system in Kenya and strategy for Modernization, Msc. In Land Management at KTH, Stockholm, Sweden.
- Wanjiku, J.W., 2009: Evaluation of the Registration of Title System in Kenya. Msc in Land Management at KTH, Stockholm, Sweden
- Catherine Kagendo, Mugwiria. 2010: Evaluation of the Registered Land Act in Kenya. Msc in Land Administration, KTH, Sweden.
- Rebecca Ochong., 2010: Land Ownership and Succession in Kenya: The Gender Factor. Msc in Land Administration, KTH, Sweden
- Kalande, William Wasiali., 2011: Modeling General Boundary Disputes. Msc in Geospatial Engineering, Department of Geospatial Engineering and Space Technology, University of Nairobi.
- Malachi Odongo. 2014: The Application of the STDM in Mapping of Informal Settlements in Kenya: A Case Study of Mathare Mashimoni No 10, Nairobi (in progress)
PhD Thesis Supervision (All in Progress)
- Peter Mburu, 2013: Development of a Modern Land Registration System for Kenya. University of Groningen, the Netherlands, in collaboration with Prof. Leon Verstappen of the University of Groningen and Prof. Jaap Zevenbergen of the University of Twente,
- Mildred M. Aduma, 2013: Spatial Modelling of the Impact of Climate Variability and its Extremes on Elephant Distribution Patterns in the Fragmented Landscape. Institute of Climate Change and Adaptation, University of Nairobi. In collaboration with Dr. Gilbert Ouma.
- Linda Ajuang Ogallo, 2013: Charcoal Burning and its Impact on Climate Change and the Community in Lower Jubba, Somalia. Institute of Climate Change and Adaptation, University of Nairobi. In collaboration with Dr. Gilbert Ouma and Phillip Omondi Amingo.
- Rhoda Chai, 2014: Use of Geospatial Technology in Monitoring the Behaviour of Velvet Monkeys in Nairobi Area. Technical University of Kenya in collaboration with Prof. Dorcas Yole, School of Biological Sciences.
- Beatrice Chika, 2015: Modelling of the General Boundary System in Kenya. School of Surveying and geospatial Sciences, Technical University of Kenya, Nairobi, in collaboration with Prof. Joep Comcroft of Katholic University of Luven, Belgium and Prof.F.W.O. Aduol.
- George Ted Osewe, 2015: Development of a Methodology for Documenting Retained Customary Tenure in Kenya. School of Surveying and Geospatial Sciences, Technical University of Kenya, Nairobi, in collaboration with Prof. Joep Comcroft of the Katholic Unversity of Luven, Belgium and F.W.O. Aduol.
Activities in Projects
- 2003-2005: A Pilot study on Nature Conservation and Natural Disaster Management: The Role of Indigenous Knowledge in Kenya. Participated in carrying out the research on Lamu Island, Coast Province.
- 2007-2011: A comparative Analysis of indigenous knowledge of Rainfall Prediction among the Nganyi Community of Western Kenya and modern science prediction methods as provided by the department of Meteorology Department, Nairobi.
- 2008-2010: Coordinator of the African Monitoring of Environment for Sustainable Development (AMESD), for all the IGAD countries and carried out several meetings in Addis Ababa Ethiopia.
- 2012-2014: Improvement of Agricultural Production and Food Security to Enhance Adaptation to Climate Variability through timely Dissemination of Climate Products and Services. Project sponsored by Rockefeller Foundation.
- 2011-2012: Development of BSc Land Administration Curriculum for the University of Ruhengeri Rwanda. Visited the National Land Centre at Kigali and did presentations to an international Audience on the need for Land Administration in Rwanda.
- 2006-2010: Coordinator of the Masters training in Land Administration at the KTH, Sweden and trained twenty Kenya professionals in Sweden. During the period we attended annual meetings at the KTH in Stockholm for exchange of views and supervision of the programme.
- 2006-Date: Coordinator and Member of the Eastern Africa Land Administration Network (EALAN) in collaboration with the Universities of Twente (Netherlands), KTH (Sweden) and Technical University of Munich (Germany). Held annual meetings in Nairobi, Dar es Salam, Kampala and Bahir Dar (Ethiopia), Ruhengeri Rwanda.
- 2013-2014: Mapping of Informal Settlements in Kenya for issuance of Titles in Nairobi, Mombasa, Thika and Embu in collaboration with Voyants Company from India and the Ministry of Land, Housing and Urban Development.
- 2014-2015: Mapping of Urban Agriculture in Kisumu City and Thika Town in Collaboration with the Department of Human Geography, University of Lund Sweden.
- 2014-2015: Development of a Geographic Information System and Knowledge Management Centre for ASAL Districts in Kenya in collaboration with Oakar Services, Nairobi
- Wayumba G.O. and W.R. Philipson. 1985: Remote Sensing of shifting Cultivation and Grazing Patterns of the Semi-Arid regions of Kenya. Pub. I.T.C. Journal. (request a copy)
- Orodi, J.O., G.O.Wayumba, A. Inima, and C. Omuto 2009: Mapping Sugarcane Biomass Using Remote Sensing. Pub. International Journal of Remote Sensing. Vol.X, 2009. (request a copy)
- Ondulo. J.O. G.O.Wayumba and F.W.O.Aduol, 2014: Accuracy Assessment of Preliminary Index Maps from High Resolution Orthoimages in Kenya. Pub. In the International Journal of Scientific Research and Engineering Studies (IJSRES). Vol 2. ISSUE 1, Jan 2015. ISSN: 2349-8862 (pdf)
- Wayumba, G.O. 2014: The Structure of the Cadastral System in Kenya. Pub. Journal of Land Administration in Eastern Africa. JLEA Vol 1 No. 1 July-December 2013. ISSN 1821-7575, Dar-es-Salaam. (pdf)
- Wayumba, G.O. 2013: A Historical Review of the Land Tenure Reforms in Kenya. Pub. In the International Journal of Scientific Research and Engineering Studies (IJSRES) Vol 2. ISSUE 1, Jan 2015. ISSN: 2349-8862. (pdf)
- Wayumba, G.O. 2015 and Milewa, D., : Development of a New Cadastral Model for Kenya. Pub. In the International Journal of Scientific Research and Engineering Studies (IJSRES), ISSUE 7, July 2015, ISSN 2349-8862. (pdf)
- Wayumba, G.O., Tiagi, M., Mumo, T., Matata P., Odongo, M., Kawira, J., 2015: A Methodology for the Enhancement of Tenure Security in the Informal Settlements in Kenya. Pub. in the International Journal of Scientific Research and Engineering Studies (IJSRES) ISSUE 7, July 2015, ISSN 2349-8862. (pdf)
- Wayumba, G.O. 2015: The Challenge of sustaining Pastoralism Tenure for Ecological Conservation in the Maasai Mara. Pub. in the International Journal of Scientific Research and Engineering Studies (IJSRES) Vol.2 No. 7, July 2015, ISSUE 2349-8862, (pdf)
- Wayumba, G.O., 2015: A Review of Recent Land Policy Developments in Kenya. Pub. in the International Journal of Scientific Research and Engineering Studies (IJSRES) Vol.2 No.7 July 2015, ISSUE 2349-8862. (pdf)
- Wayumba, G.O., 2015: Aspects of Customary Land Tenure Rights in Kenya. Pub. In the International Journal of Scientific Research and Engineering Studies (IJSRES) Vol.2 No.7 July 2015, ISSUE 2349-8862. (pdf)
- Wayumba, G.O. 2015: A Historical Review of Land Tenure Reforms in Kenya. Pub. In the International Journal of Scientific Research and Engineering Studies (IJSRES) Vol.2 No.7 July 2015, ISSUE 2349-8862. (pdf)
Published Books and Maps
- Wayumba G.O. 1986: Thematic Mapping from Satellite imagery, Existing Applications and Future needs in Kenya (J. Denegre, 1989 Ed.), International Cartographic Association Report. Elsevier Applied Science Publishers.
- Wayumba, G. O., H. O Arodi and M. Okanga, 2001: Kenya Tourist Guide Map. Designed and printed for the Kenya Tourist Board, Nairobi.
- Wayumba G. O. and H. O. Arodi 2003: Tourist Map of Western Kenya. Designed and Printed for Bundu Maps, Nairobi
- Ouma G., L.A. Ogallo. M. Onyango., G.O. Wayumba., M., J.Mbeva. Achola-Pala Okeyo, and Nganyi Community, 2013: Coping with Local Disasters using indigenous knowledge; Experiences from Nganyi Community of Western Kenya.LAP Lambert Academic Publishing
- Wayumba, G.O., 2014: Land Tenure and Cadastre in Kenya: History, Status and Future Scenarios (in progress)